Sclerotherapy is a treatment for venous insufficiency. It can be used to remove superficial spider veins. The procedure involves a special solution that is injected into the affected vein. The solution irritates the vein walls, causing them to collapse. The vein is gradually absorbed into the surrounding tissue and disappears. The blood automatically travels to other healthy veins.
The main benefits of sclerotherapy are:
• A high success rate
• The treatment is quick and is done as an outpatient procedure
• There is no overnight stay in the hospital
• There is very little discomfort and it only lasts for a few minutes
• The appearance of the leg is improved
• Blood flow is improved and swelling is reduced